In accordance with the authority vested in me under the Arbitral Award of February 14, 1997; the Supplemental Award of March 15, 1998; and pursuant to Annex 7 of the General Framework Agreement for Peace (GFAP); and the June 9, 1998, Declaration of the Min isterial Meeting of the Steering Board of the Peace Implementation Council in Luxembourg, which states in para graph 56 that “the voluntary return of displaced municipal officials to the municipality in which they ho ld office is essential,” I hereby issue t he following Order:
- The Municipal Government of Brcko, with the assistance of the Republika Srpska Ministry for Refug ees and Displaced Persons, shall take necessary steps to enable the return of all non-Serb Municipal officials and employees to their pre-war homes in Brcko. These municipal officials and employees include, but are not limited to, councillors of the Municipal Assembly , members of the police, judiciary, administration, and teachers who will be employed at the primary schools i n Brod and Omerbegovaca. The Munici pal Government shall either assist displaced persons currently occupying the homes of non-Serb officials and e mployees to return to their own pre-war homes or provide them with reasonably sufficient alternative accommoda tion.
- Significant progress on return of the aforementioned officials and employees shall be demonstrate d by November 30, 1998. The municipal government shall submit to me an interim progress report on this no la ter than November 13, 1998. Within one week upon receipt of the report, the Supervisor will convene and chair at OHR-North a panel comprised of the Mayor, his two Deputies, representatives of the Republika Srpska Ministry for Refugees and Displaced Persons, UNHCR, and OHR to review progress in this retu rn process.
- Due to the urgent nature of these cases, and for the purpose of this Order alone, the Municipal G overnment shall give displaced persons a time limit of thirty (30) days to vacate the houses of the non-Serb o fficials and employees covered in paragraph one w ho have been approved by the Return Commission for return. All other aspects of the Procedure for Return to B rcko of April 24, 1997, remain in effect.
- This Order in no way abrogates my firm commitment not to evict displaced persons residing l egally in Brcko if no reasonably sufficient alternative housing is available. The responsibility for fi nding reasonably sufficient alternative accommoda tion for displaced persons and families living in houses or apartments belonging to non-Serb municipal officia ls and employees affected by this Order falls entirely on the Municipal Government.
- This order shall have immediate effect.
Robert W. Farrand
Deputy High Representative
Supervisor of Brcko
November 3, 1998